Re: new menu vfs backend

> Message: 7
> Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 20:57:42 -0400
> From: Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com>
> To: desktop-devel-list gnome org
> Subject: new menu vfs backend
>
> Hi,
>
> While we're all coming clean about features. ;-)
>
> I'm working on a menu backend that uses the new spec at
> http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/menu/draft/menu-spec/menu-spec.html
> Code is in freedesktop.org CVS module desktop-file-utils.
>
> It's basically working in read-only mode. I have to add editing, which
> will take a bit more work, hopefully I'll have it end of next week or
> at least after next weekend.

Any chance that your work wil be in the form of a widget that other
apps can use for thier own purposes?  I just spent a few days
putting together a menu editor for my app (gnotime) so that users
can maintain a menu of custom reports.  These are basically a
filepath to the report & some extra info.

I've put maybe 8 hours into it so far, and it maybe needs another
8-16 to finish.  I'm in no position to complain... but instead
of having to spend 10-20 hours to work on this, it would have been
nice to spend 2-4 hours figuring out how to taylor a generic system
to my needs.   Mind you, I think I'm a fairly fast coder, so something
generic may help others more ...

--linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas linas org>