Re: (no subject)

Marcel,

Please consider this scenario for translators (I prefer "developer's" point of the view for po files handling):

I consider both, the "developer's" point as much as the "translator's", as such, I agree with what some people in here have already said, and I quote from the "developer's" perspective: "the build tools must be fixed not to modify those po files" (s/must/should).

1. I'm working (as a transaltor) with ll.po file.

Ok. :)

2. In the meantime someone (the package maintainer) updates "my" ll.po file in CVS.

Fine with me, given s/he's done some changes to ll.po. If nothing has changed really, it's nothing but a waste, not just of CVS resources, but also of my (being a translator) time.

3. My work with ll.po is finished. I'm about to commit the ll.po to the CVS.

Ok. :)

4. I'm performing `cvs up` for whole module and there is a conflict with my ll.po.

Doh!

5. This conflict IS NOT HARD to resolve.

Well, I'll resolve it. I don't mind really, given I find that something has changed. If I start checking for conflicts and figure that nothing has changed really, I'm tending to get a little annoyed here, even more, when I find that some of my translations are suddenly broken. What for, for nothing? You brake my translations without even having made a single change? *breaks yet another pen*

6. cvs backups my copy of the ll.po (it's named, say '.#ll.po.1.30')

I'll perform this "unneccesary" step to find out what my file's backed up at.

7. Peform this command sequence to resolve the conflict:
     rm -f ll.po
     cvs up
     mv .#ll.po.1.30 ll.po
     intltool-update ll
cvs ci ll.po

I'll perform these "really unneccesary" steps to save my translations (and I cannot be bothered really to check them manually in order to figure whether they're still all ok, I might find some broken ones eventually).

Now, all is ok. Translator is happy, developer is happy :-). There is no problem.

Erm, what exactly is your definition of happy?
I am not happy -- NOT AT ALL!! I'm highly annoyed!! The developer could have saved me from all that pain, with one simple step, so I'll annoy her/him, 'cause I'm annoyed at her/him. Which, in return, means that the developer gets annoyed at me, since I blame her/him for not performing this simple step. As a developer, I am now annoyed at the translator, for annoying me, and at the damn bloddy tool, for doing what it does and causing the translator getting annoyed, resulting in her/him annoying me.

If you ask me (from "my" perspective), fix the bloddy damn build tool!! *l*

Cheers,
Bernd

--
Disclaimer: Other than what's stated at http://apac.redhat.com/disclaimer, this email is not meant to be serious, but simply meant to be illustrative of a certain point -- the point being, that the sender of this email believes that it would be best to change the behaviour of the beforementioned build tool. :-)