Re: My take on Totem and GStreamer

<quote who="Sean Middleditch">

> On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 11:32, Noah Levitt wrote:
> > Why not make xine the gnome media library? (I'm sure there's a reason,
> > just curious what it is.)
>
> That'd be like adopting Qt as the GUI library - aside from the fact that
> it's not based on any of the GNOME technologies, it also breaks backwards
> compatibility for apps.

Xine is simply a different multimedia backend that does not include the
detailed and generic pipeline infrastructure that GStreamer does. It is a
pretty straight-forward "play this media file" library.

Using Xine would not be akin to adopting Qt. It is not that much of a
change.

> GStreamer was part of 2.2, so it must be part of 2.4, 2.6, etc.

It was added as a desktop module in 2.2, but it is not part of the developer
platform. So, whilst we discourage module churn, we don't have an absolute
commitment to shipping GStreamer (which is not to say we don't want to, etc)

> Xine also isn't GNOMEy at all.

You will find many of our library dependencies are not all that "GNOMEy".
Indeed, they don't always need to be.

(Just providing information here, not suggesting any changes, etc.)

- Jeff

--
GU4DEC: June 16th-18th in Dublin, Ireland             http://www.guadec.org/

             "Laughter is a force for democracy." - John Cleese