RE: No Flags "Policy"

> It the software can work without the flags then the ability to have flags is
> not must-have, but nice.
Really. I would qualify it as "should have" (to the best of my English).
The windows "prototype" of gswitchit (www.switchit.ru) by default uses
flags. And it is one of the reasons people waste time installing it
(others reasons are: more rich set of shortcuts, customizable sounds,
the icon in the windows title, and other bells and whistles).

> In the gswitchit situation, I think it's almost useless. If you need proof,
> then Windows manages quite happily without it. It would be nice to discuss
> other specific software that might need them.
I know Windows does not show flags - and overall, the standard keyboard
switcher in Windows sucks - it is no way the example I would consider as
the leader in the area. That is why when I work on any Windows machine,
the second program I install is SwitchIt! (the first one is the FAR
Manager). And a lot of people do share my taste .

I hope you understand my wish to make my code usable at least for me:)

BTW, historically, arguably the best (most advanced and feature full)
pre-gswitchit xkb indicator for X is xxkb by Ivan Pascal (BTW, recently
Timur Bakeev improved its GNOME compatibility). Guess - what is used
there for the layout indication? Hint: not labels.

Just out of curiosity - how many layouts are currently configured in
your XFree desktop? How often do you switch them? Do you use any kind of
layout indicator?

--
Sergey