Re: PROPOSAL: Evolution for GNOME 2.6

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 10:52:05PM +0100 or thereabouts, Danilo Segan wrote:
> JP Rosevear <jpr ximian com> writes:
>
> > The Evolution team would like to formally propose Evolution
> > (http://www.gnome.org/projects/evolution) for inclusion in the GNOME 2.6
> > Desktop release.
>
> Just to remind everyone of one issue that should be taken into
> account: Evolution is huge addition for translation.

It is monstrously large, yes.

My favourite is still the string that says

msgid "Ass"

We assumed it was assistant, but when you're ploughing through
single words, you are never sure :)

> Other problem is that current status pages show evolution-1-4 branch,
> and I don't think any translator has followed HEAD with the GUI being
> redesigned. So, if much has changed from 1.4, the above paragraph
> might be false (and it would be worse).

Oh god. Um, yeah, what branch are you proposing for Gnome 2.6?

> Also, when talking of Evolution 1.4, a large number of strings in it
> are names of the towns and cities (I guess it's at least 2500
> messages), and most of them are really unusable in locales other than
> US (I guess those are names of some tiny towns around USA, perhaps
> even in UK). You can check this for yourself while looking through
> translations (check some who don't use latin alphabet, like Chinese,
> Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian -- so you could more easily notice that
> those names are not translated).

I thought they must be airport names. I liked the idea of taking
that list and putting it in a separate library, so that then
Evolution could use it, gweather could use it, and anything else
could use it. (A very similar list of names was in gweather.)

> This is definitely a wasted effort for translators: users will not
> need names of towns other than those they have heard of, and they're
> more likely to need towns that are not in that list (eg. tiny towns
> in their own country of residence).

I assume it's for all the contacts and personal organisation
stuff I never use. I have actually not found out where that list
is used in Evolution yet. Is it cunningly-hidden?

> So, if we're not planning on extending the locations list with
> another 10 thousand strings (to make everybody happy :), I think all
> the unknown cities and towns should be dropped (this would probably
> make it a list of 500 entries, instead of 2500+).

Don't drop them completely. As I say, there was an idea of putting
them in a separate library. That would make sure we didn't lose
the translations.

Telsa