Re: close button on terminal tabs

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 11:01, Calum Benson wrote:
> Evan Martin wrote:
>
> > Is there a good argument why tabbing shouldn't be handled by the window
> > manager?[1]
>
> This is pretty much what the HIG team were hoping for when they wrote
> their much-slated "MDI is evil"-type guidelines.  A similar sort of
> window manager has been done before (I forget what it was called, but
> Greg might remember), so it's not impossible.  However it's evident that
> Havoc doesn't relish the task of screwing up metacity by trying, so I
> think somebody else is going to have to step up to the plate this time :)

I'd reiterate my earlier suggestion also about the many ways the window
list could be made more like tabs - allow reordering, allow animated
icons, etc. - the question being what are the ways that tabs would still
be better. I believe there probably are some ways but it'd be worth
thinking this through. Maybe much of the issue is that the window list
and metacity aren't polished enough in their window handling.

Havoc