Re: migrating to new backend format

On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 16:56, Frank Worsley wrote:
> Umm, what exactly is the pressing reason to move to a new format? This
> seems like a huge hassle to me. The current format works pretty well
> doesn't it?

The immediate motivation is Mark's "use fewer files" patch.

> Also, with new format, do you mean not using libxml but instead using
> gmarkup

No, it's not related to the markup/xml thing.

>  or are you talking about using one monolitic file instead of
> lots of little files?

Not one huge file but something intermediate between file-per-gconf-dir
and one-huge-file.

If we're going to do Mark's patch anyway, I would like to change the XML
DTD as well, because the current one is gross. But I would not break
things just to change the DTD since it doesn't really _matter_ that it's
gross, unless someone's hand-editing.

So the fewer-files patch is the only immediate reason to change.

Havoc