Re: The noninclusion of Gaim (was: Re: Module proposal for gnome 2.5)

On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 22:30, Christian Rose wrote:
> Gaim is not an option for inclusion in GNOME. It's not a GNOME
> application and, probably more important, its developers have repeatedly
> and very clearly stated that they don't have the intention of making it
> so either(*).
> include <various reasons why we can't include gaim>

My suggestion was not that we include gaim, just that we dont include
gossip. If its going to be in the desktop it ought to be a complete
soultion to the issue, i.e. full IM program. We shouldnt be in a
situation where we include on IM program but most users/distros need
another one. Like how we shouldnt include a mailer, etc, which is going
to need replacing by most users. Better no IM prog at all that gossip
which is only Jabber. Afterall we have survived so far without a gnome
IM and we dont NEED one anymore desperately this time than the last
release.

Also: Jabber server-side hooks to msn/aim/icq are complex and
unreliable. Also: The new MSN version has already found its way into
unofficial windows clients so the lockout doesnt look like a permenant
problem.

This is how i see it,

Dom..

PS: I dont think given the quick release schedules that its ever too
early to start talking about modules informally. One can always just not
read the thread if it bores one.

--
Dom Howells | e: dom domhowells com
t: 01844 339355 | m: 07956 224714