Re: Lockdown stuff

Hello,
I'm not so sure that a so deep fine grained nautilus control help us to
provide a better user experience.

Il mar, 2003-10-07 alle 16:49, Matt Keenan ha scritto:
> As a follow up to what George has been working on, I want to get this
> discussion going again. I have been looking into further locking down the
> desktop in various areas, my approach was to take a list of tasks that I would
> like to achieve and see what could be done within Gconf that would enable us to
> acheive these tasks.

<snip>

>          /desktop/gnome/lockdown/nautilus/lockdown_desktop_icons    boolean
>          /desktop/gnome/lockdown/nautilus/icons_to_lockdown         list/string
>
>     If lockdown_desktop_icons is set then basically all default icons on
>      the desktop are locked down, a user cannot remove/rename/move them and
>      they cannot add more icons.

What does it mean?
Icons are related to different object type (real folders, link, .desktop
files, in memory volumes images, ...), what you want to do locking
icons?
To lock object access you can use different polities.

<snip>

>      New key :
>          /desktop/gnome/lockdown/nautilus/disable_properties     boolean
>
>      If set simply hide the properties menu item.

My test users needs everytime to understand object properties (file
size, set rwx prop and so on).

>      - Restrict users from running applications within nautilus.
>
>      New keys :
> 	/desktop/gnome/lockdown/nautilus/disable_application_launching  boolean
>
>      This will have the affect of hiding the Open, Open With and Open in New
>      Window menu items, and also disable double-click launching.

This could be useful to control a very specialized gnome based OS
distribuition.
Yes.Why not.

>      - Restrict a user from browsing directories/locations.
>
>      New Keys :
>          /desktop/gnome/lockdown/nautilus/restrict_viewable_locations    boolean
>          /desktop/gnome/lockdown/nautilus/viewable_locations         list/string
>
>      If restrict_viewable_locations is NOT set, then all locations/directories
>      are viewable to the user. If it is set then the viewable_locations key will
>      be checked. This key will contain a list of locations that a user can view
>      which can include directory paths and nautilus locations such as network://
>      etc.. If the list is empty then the user cannot view any locations.

You can restrict access using classical posix methods.
Don't forget that the next generation of Linux (from 2.6 -> inf)
supports ACL and also we'll have ReiserFS 4 (another world).
We cannot do anything into the GNOME layer.

>      - Define sensitivity for all context menu items :
>
>      New Keys :
>
>          /desktop/gnome/lockdown/nautilus/disable_new_window              boolean
>          /desktop/gnome/lockdown/nautilus/disable_new_folder              boolean
>          /desktop/gnome/lockdown/nautilus/disable_new_launcher            boolean
>          /desktop/gnome/lockdown/nautilus/disable_new_terminal            boolean
>          /desktop/gnome/lockdown/nautilus/disable_scripts                 boolean
>          /desktop/gnome/lockdown/nautilus/disable_cut                     boolean
>          /desktop/gnome/lockdown/nautilus/disable_copy                    boolean
>          /desktop/gnome/lockdown/nautilus/disable_paste                   boolean
>          /desktop/gnome/lockdown/nautilus/disable_duplicate               boolean
>          /desktop/gnome/lockdown/nautilus/disable_make_link               boolean
>          /desktop/gnome/lockdown/nautilus/disable_rename                  boolean
>          /desktop/gnome/lockdown/nautilus/disable_move_to_thrash          boolean
>          /desktop/gnome/lockdown/nautilus/disable_stretch_icon            boolean
>          /desktop/gnome/lockdown/nautilus/disable_restore_icon            boolean
>          /desktop/gnome/lockdown/nautilus/disable_add_to_archive          boolean
>          /desktop/gnome/lockdown/nautilus/disable_disks                   boolean
>          /desktop/gnome/lockdown/nautilus/disable_use_default_background  boolean
>          /desktop/gnome/lockdown/nautilus/disable_change_desktop_background
>                                                                           boolean
>
>      Just hide the relevant menu item of the key is set.

Now the point is:may you, please, explain us, step by step, which is the
application contest for using all this new keys?
I can image one or two...but not all.I mean...
cut/copy/paste/rename..the fundamentals?

<snip>

> 2. GNOME Panel
>      - Restrict a user from adding/removing panels
>
>      New Keys :
>          /desktop/gnome/lockdown/panel/disable_new_panel           boolean
>          /desktop/gnome/lockdown/panel/disable_delete_this_panel   boolean
>
>      If set hide the context menu items New Panel and Delte This Panel.

Ok.I think this is good...very good to ensure strong consistency.I agree
with you.
When I tested my users against KDE they destroy all the desktop moving
and deleting panels and toolbars(into the desktop and into the windows
frames).They wasn't able to return back to a consistency, usable
state....going to panic.
I think that locking this option will provide a better and durable look
and feel of the desktop.

<snip>
<snip>
<snip>

I think globally that we need a sort of fine grained desktop
control...but this is dangerous due to that market actors may push their
fully customized GNOME vision against the real GNOME vision...(think Sun
, think RH, think...) deviating us from the real target.Ensuring GNOME
becoming Desktop for everyone.

Ciao,

Luca Cappelletti

--