Re: Module proposal for gnome 2.5

On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 04:17, Julio Biason wrote:

> I think GNOME should stick with gaim. Gossip, AFAIK is a Jabber-client
> only. Gaim, OTOH, has support for multiple protocols, which is nice for
> people changing desktops.

I'm confused by 'stick with gaim' - gaim isn't part of the GNOME desktop
release, and as detailed elsewhere in the thread, there is little
interest from its maintainers in making it so. As for multiple
protocols, the very concept of a Jabber client like Gossip is that it
can be extended to do such things. The realistic chance of this
happening for 2.6 is entirely a matter for Gossip's maintainers. I for
one look forward to having a jabber client library for use in GNOME, and
I feel that Gossip is the better way forward.

> Evolution would be nice as a default mail reader. But, right now, it has
> a lot of features that the normal user won't use (tasks, calendar, etc).
> GNOME still needs some kind of "kmail", a mail reader that is nice to
> the eyes but light enough to load fast.

I think that 'normal users' are far more likely to use these features
than you think. Certainly when I'm in my office and using Outlook,
myself and my 'normal user' colleagues rely on them. Granted home users
and hobbyists probably don't need them so much. The aim of splitting
Evolution into smaller, easily digestible pieces has also been stated
elsewhere, and I'd imagine that the 'mail' bit of Evolution would meet
your idea of a 'kmail' style reader?

Mike