Re: GNOME System Tools 0.29.0 "Where's my hack??" is out!

Hi Jeff!

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 06:42:01PM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="garnacho tuxerver net">
>
> > > It seems to have been on my 2.4/2.5 tarballs system. Very pleasing, apart
> > > from the length of the menu. ;-)
> >
> > that's a little problem, another bigger one (IMHO) might be mixing in the
> > same menu tools which require root password with other ones which doesn't...
> > any opinion? :/
>
> I don't think that's a huge problem, but I would love to see the g-s-t tools
> work a bit more like the Mac OS X control panels - only asking for the root
> password when it is required (ie. when actioning the change). That would be
> really sweet, though I don't know how feasible. :-)

I think it's doable, only 3 issues:

- there could be configuracion that cannot be shown due to permissions
  (ie: /etc/lilo.conf) until the tool is "unlocked"
- will be a problem when configuring through ssh, because this would
  mean 2 ssh sessions (at least with the current code), and because we
  should know the username at the other side, maybe the ssh config
  behavior should be left unchanged
- I'd like to see more deeply the MacOS behavior before working on this :-P

> Thanks, the new release looks really sweet,

thanks! :)