Re: New Wallpaper Properties Dialog

On Hën , 2003-10-27 at 09:05, James Henstridge wrote:
> On 27/10/03 20:05, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> >
> >And even then, all of this can be implemented using gnome-vfs' metadata.
> >No need to add Yet Another XML File.
> >

> gnome-vfs has a metadata API?

No. But I presume this is common territory for misinterpretation. It's
often thought that "I can do it in Nautilus. Nautilus uses gnome-vfs.
Therefore, it must be doable with gnome-vfs." Nautilus has a plug-in
system for allowing you to get meta-data about files, or create
different types of thumbnails, and such, as far as I can tell, which
is of course not gnome-vfs, but the relationship makes it seem like it
would be (and in many cases, gnome-vfs is where it should be).

It's kind of similar to the situation with Icon Themes.

"Why is it in libgnomeui?"
"Because icons are images."
"But it should be in glib or somewhere similar, so that non-X
applications can look up what icon to use for something."
"You're on crack."

This is basically the exact conversation I had, when I asked why it is
in fact, in libgnomeui, rather than glib or similar. Despite the fact
that icon theme support in just glib would be really useful for a web
forum or similar, application.

-- dobey