Re: Gnome desktop files doesn't follow the freedesktop standards

On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 19:25, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Here's the problem: the UI guidelines (and I agree they are correct) say
> the menus should contain "Mozilla Web Browser" or "Totem Media Player"

Well, we're not totally consistent here; why is it just "System Monitor"
then?  Simply because the upstream application is called "GNOME System
Monitor"?

What if originally Rhythmbox had been called "GNOME Music"?  Would it
then just be "Music" in the menu, simply because of the happenstance of
its upstream name?

I think it makes the most sense to *only* use GenericName by default,
and upon collisions (e.g. two Web Browsers), then do something like
this:

GenericName (Name)

I believe that will generally work OK with i18n.

So the HIG's recommendation here doesn't make much sense to me (and it
doesn't seem to really be a particularly strong one).

Note that under your suggestion Epiphany would have to be "Epiphany Web
Browser", and not just "Web Browser".