background control

hi list,

I already asked this in the general list. I'm hardly looking for a
feature, I used in some past version of gnome. There was a checkbox
somewhere in preferences to decide if the desktop's background is to be
controlled by gnome or another application. You also could give the
command to be responsible. I used it to have the output of webcollage
(script module of xscreensaver, but standalone usable) as my background.

After some update this vanished, but since I know it must be possible
because it was, I'm looking around for a hint, how to get it again.

Please help
Eckhard