Re: GtkFileChooser API work

On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 06:46, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> Jody,
>
> On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 14:27, Jody Goldberg wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 12:49:08PM -0500, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> > >
> > > Plain GTK+ apps would be using the GtkFileSystemUnix implementation.
> > > Right now it only returns "/" in list_roots, but I guess we could steal
> > > some code from (say) the Midnight Commander to read the information from
> > > mtab et al.  MC is GPL, though...
> >
> > We can pull the code from gnome-vfs file::is_local that was
> > relicensed to LGPL from gnu-find.
>
> Are you talking about the stuff in file-module.c (do_get_local)? That is
> ultimately called by things like gnome_vfs_uri_is_local(), for example.
> That test looks hosed because it thinks an NFS-mounted (and AFS) system
> is not local (so /home on all the boxes I use at work is apparently as
> "remote" as a WebDAV or FTP site).
>
> This looks like it could wander into the same territory as the is_local
> flags in Nautilus which are sort of doubling (er .. tripling) as
> "is_fast", "is_possibly_going_to_be_missing" and
> "is_on_the_hard_drive_in_the_box_at_my_feet" and possibly some other
> purposes; I never quite wrapped my brain around all the uses and why
> they were required. Whatever the reasons are, and I am note questioning
> their legitimatacy, it leads to some non-intuitive (a.k.a really
> annoying) behaviour at times.

There is a historical issue here. Once is_local in gnome-vfs returned
true for all file: uris. A lot of code in nautilus relied on this for
things like "has local pathname", "is reasonably fast" etc. Then for
some reason this changed to return false for NFS filesystems, and a lot
of things broke in nautilus. Since then we've slowly changed to use
various other ways to decide these things. Its pretty messy still
though...

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an old-fashioned chivalrous grifter with a mysterious suitcase handcuffed
to his arm. She's a supernatural impetuous nun from aristocratic European
stock. They fight crime!