Re: SVG format in metacity, gtk, desklets and build system for Gnome

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 12:02:53PM +0200, Marcin Antczak wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have some thoughts after reading "KDE and Gnome" threat recently on
> this list and I would like to share them and ask what do you think about
> it.
>
> 1. About themes...
>
> 	a. We have Metacity which uses specific XML structure do 	describe
> theme layout and elements.
>
> 	I wonder why developer invents it's own "priopretary" format 	instead
> adapt SVG semantics?

SVG is a drawing format. The metacity theme is not just drawing. You
could use SVG for the drawing part, but not for the geometry parts or
things like using GTK theme colors.

If you want to add SVG support for the drawing then please feel free
to send a patch, but you are going to be embedding SVG in the theme
file for the drawing, not using SVG for the whole theme.

Havoc