Re: SVG format in metacity, gtk, desklets and build system for Gnome

W liÅ?cie z czw, 04-09-2003, godz. 06:22, Chipzz pisze:
> On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, Marcin Antczak wrote:
>
> > And more currently rpm's are only known to me good way for "automated"
> > patching (you have patches collected and you put these patches before
> > building) but rpm'a are just like Garnome - they have "hardcoded" build
> > options (maybe they are not big problem in gnome where you don't really
>
> no they don't:
>
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-packaging-list/2002-May/msg00000.html

1. How many users are rebuilding their rpms?
2. From where will you know that there are such rebuilding options?
AFAIK there is no option simmilar to ./configure --help

So, if you want to build your rpm with "optional options" you need
install srpm, unpack source, check spec, ./configure --help and then at
last you can rebuild.... this is solution for advanced users not for
beginners...

3. My idea is to create something _powerful_ and easy to use.
Something what will provide fast installation but still provide high
level of optimalization.

The only solution I can see right now is specialized web frontend and
powerfull engine to create specialized shell scripts based on user
options.

And I think that there is a place for product simmilar to Ximian
RedCarpet but not based on rpms.

I just think that if we have Desktop Environment then this is targeted
for all kind of users but for beginners too.

So, in my opinion Gnome should have easy and powerfull installer.
The choice we have now:

fetch and build from cvs
fetch and build from cvs using specialized scripts
fetch and build by hand from sources
fetch and build from sources using Garnome
install from rpms
install from rpms using Ximian RedCarpet
build using srpms
install with some other installer - for example Dropline Gnome...
apt-get

it is really awful for me - every option has their strong parts and
drawbacks.

I think that specialized installation and builing system for Desktop
Environment is very important - and this is not a beginning of flame
war.

--
Marcin Antczak <marcin antczak e-dev pl>