Re: [Patch] A clipboard daemon for gnome-settings-daemon

On 06/09/03 19:19, Hongli Lai wrote:

I am aware of all this. But I don't see any other easy way to prevent the

clipboard content from getting lost.
The other alternative is make applications transfer data to the daemon before they exit, but this requires modification in all applications (or at least the toolkits; depending on the situation). That's way too much work.

With this daemon, the X clipboard will work very similar to the Win32 clipboard. Yes, memory is wasted, but the content doesn't get lost. And so far, I have seen a lot more people complaining about the X clipboard (hundreds) than the Win32 clipboard (nobody; ever heard a user critisize the Win32 clipboard? I haven't).
Looking at modern win32 applications, I would guess that they work in a manner closer to the X selection mechanism, with support for transfering the selection to another daemon on exit.

If I am using Microsoft Word, I can paste data copied from word in a number of formats, including plain text, html and full word format (ie. it supports content negotiation). Further more, if I copy a large amount of text and exit Word, it will pop up a dialog asking if I want the data to remain available to other apps after exit.

If Word wasn't involved in the "paste" process, I can't see any reason why it would need to ask this question on exit.

If word wasn't involved, then I would expect that paste would work equally well before/after exit and use the same amount of memory. If this was the case, then there wouldn't be much reason to ask the question.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/