Re: [Patch] A clipboard daemon for gnome-settings-daemon

On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 03:16:22PM +0200, Hongli Lai wrote:
> On Saturday 06 September 2003 14:56, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> > Well, I'm completely clueless as far as this goes. I'm strictly speaking
> > from a user's POV and in this case I'm not at all interested in the
> > underlying tech. I love left-click copying and middle-click pasting of
> > text in X. I miss it a lot in Win. But the fact that, regardless of the
> > underlying mechanism supporting it, everything else in the X clipboard
> > (or the apps# use of it, doesn't matter to the user) sucks hard in the
> > user experience compared to what I'm used to in win annoys me. And I'm
> > not even an X basher at all
>
> The problem is that no application takes advantage of the feature, not that
> the mechanism itself is broken. Applications has to explicitly use this
> feature or it won't work. This is true on any platform, not just Linux/X.

Lots of applications take advantage of this.  Mozilla offers
selections in several formats.  Gnumeric/Abiword/Evo support
multiple formats.  OOo supports multiple formats.  The goal is the
make it all _appear_ to just work.  So you don't notice it
happening.