Re: Volume handling proposal

just a comment about the desktop -> home -> desktop loop:

> The desktop will contain the current Home link and trash can. Home is
> here since it is a really frequently visited location, basically being
> the unix version of "My Documents". Some people dislike this because
> it creates a loop (Desktop is in Home, Desktop points to home), but I
> think its more important to have quick access to home than being
> "loop-free".

Why not simply hide (using .hidden file) the "Desktop" folder from the
"home" folder when viewed in "spacial" mode. Let me explain myself: it
makes no sense to open the "Desktop" folder from the "Home" folder as
the "Desktop" folder is already opened (it's the desktop actually). If
you don't hide the "Desktop" folder from the "Home" folder, it is
possible to have the "Desktop" folder opened while the desktop is
already visible, thus breaking the concept of spacial file management.

However, when browsing the file-system in "navigation" mode or through
the FOSD, you should see the "Desktop" folder into the "Home" folder but
you shouldn't see the "Home" folder into the "Desktop" folder because
you should represent the file-system as it really is.

In conclusion:

 - in spacial mode: Desktop -> Bob's Home -> your files/folders except
"Desktop"

 - in navigation/FOSD mode: / -> home -> bob -> Desktop -> files/folders
that are on your desktop except "Bob's Home"