Re: Nautilus 2.6 - We're going all spatial

On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 21:25, Arik Devens wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 16, 2003, at 01:14  am, Ettore Perazzoli wrote:
>
> > Then it would be nice to have at least some proof that those users are
> > minority.  As far as I can see, the overwhelming majority of computer
> > users out there very happily uses the navigation model.
> >
> > Even better, Windows and Mac used to have an OO model, and both
> > switched
> > to a navigation model.  Did they do that just for fun or was it a
> > horrible mistake?  (And if so, why aren't they fixing it?)
>
> As Seth pointed out, Windows never really had a true spatial model for
> Explorer at all. It was always a weird mix of many things with very
> little apparent thought put into the mechanics of it.
>
> As for Mac OS X, the loss of the spatial Finder from previous versions
> of the OS is probably the most frequently heard complaint amongst Mac
> pundits and users. I have heard many many many old time users complain
> endlessly about the death of the original spatial Finder and the only
> people I have seen who say they like it better are new users to the
> platform who came from Windows or Linux.

"But since they were vocal, they were intermediate users, and not
representative of the majority." /me runs.

(Note for the humour-impaired: JOKE!)

> Oh, btw, one of the ways that the old Mac Finder made spatial easier
> for more advanced users was the inclusion of the tree view. You could
> open one window at the root level of the drive that was in tree view
> and see the contents of the entire drive. It unfolded to even include
> the files in the various folders. When you would double click on any of
> the folders though, it would open in its own window, and close the
> expanded view in the Finder window in tree view mode. This way the
> spatial model was still being followed, while allowing a more advanced
> view of the filesystem. Could be a useful thing to have in Nautilus,
> and less likely to be patented then spring-loaded folders.

Yes; I strongly suspect that we need a treeview of some sort in the
spacial model, to get around the filesystem properly. A lot of people
don't use the current treeview, but I think this is because it uses up a
great chunk of the nautilus window - not relevant if it's in a separate
window.

--
Andrew Sobala <aes gnome org>