Re: Nautilus 2.6 - We're going all spatial

On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 07:14, Ettore Perazzoli wrote:
> > > are going to
> > >         suffer a lot, since they won't be able to just double-click
> > >         desktop icons anymore.
> >
> > Once you're browsing inside a navigator window its going to stay that
> > way. Clicking on folders inside it is going to change the current
> > location not popup the folder.
>
> I understand that.  The problem is, to start a navigator window from a
> desktop icon you have to right-click and find the menu item first.

But why would you want to do that? When I have a folder placed on my
desktop and double click it, I usually want to access it's contents, not
get a navigation window (which I could get easily for example by
clicking an icon on my panel).
Besides, couldn't you just change the folder mime type to open in a
navigation window by default? Just like you can do already with the
terminal (finest crack).
I understand that this doesn't count for novice users, but defaults
could always be changed if they don't work. So all I'm seeing at the
moment is that Nautilus will get improved: It will not be a weird hybrid
between an object window and a navigation window anymore and both types
of windows can be improved to work _really_ well (maybe even be sped
up!). For example it is really frustrating that I can change Nautilus to
be almost spatial (which I like because it feels clean, fast and
efficient), but then it doesn't work as consequently as it could _and_
there is no way to get a navigation window when I need one. :/
I don't see how any harm can be done by improving this and I'm
absolutely looking forward to it.

Daniel