Re: Application menu.

On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 17:30, Ian McKellar wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 03:13, Seth Nickell wrote:
> > In general I think its a good idea, though there are many new
> > design issues that come up, particularly in the context of not having a
> > global window bar and have the first menu item have fixed width so File
> > is still in a constant position (which I would guess OS/X does, though I
> > haven't actually looked).
>
> No, IIRC, they just let the File and other menus float around as you
> switch between differently named applications. I really don't see the
> need for an application menu, doesn't the HIG standardise the locations
> of everything thats usually put in an application menu anyway?

The point wasn't that the locations aren't standard, but that the
locations are stupid.  The 'File' menu rather indicates it works ont he
current file, and operations load 'quit' and such really don't belong
there.  'about' really isn't 'help', either, and 'preferences' don't fit
in any of the common menues.