Re: spatial stuff detail

On Sep 21, 2003, at 11:30 AM, Mike Hearn wrote:
On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 02:39:57 -0400, Sir Arik Devens scribed thus:
Installing new programs is one of the least new-user-friendly aspects
of Linux right now, and application-as-directory packing would make
this problem disappear.

See http://autopackage.org/faq.html, about 3/4 of the way down, the
question entitled "What's wrong with NeXT style appfolders?"

I see it, but I don't agree with it. First, Linux is no more "pluggable" than any Unix-ish OS, including OS X (i.e. both have loadable kernel modules, file system plugins, shared libraries, etc.). Second, dependency management is a red herring. It can be done with application packages just as it is done without them. You need something to check/track this information whether or not you use app packages, so it is not an argument against them. Ditto for install/uninstall logic. App wrappers are not a panacea, but they are too useful not to have. Despite the "update" at the end of that FAQ item, many (possibly "most") OS X applications remain simple drag-installs. Giving up this feature entirely because some software is not well suited to drag-installs is throwing out the baby with the bath water.

-John