Re: [xml] Re: XML libs (was Re: gconf backend)

On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 06:11:08PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 17:36, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> >   Make a glue layer on top of the parser
>
> That's what I'm talking about. I've already written such a layer in dbus
> daemon for example. I am just saying it can be in a library. There's no
> reason it has to be in the app. I'm also saying that an API similar to
> the current gmarkup _API_  would be a workable interface (NOT
> implementation) for such a glue layer.

  Check with Jody. He made one too (on to of SAX) for loading
gnumeric XML resources.

> It may well make sense in a library, since I have at least 4 things I've
> written that would use it. But the first thing to establish is that
> there's no matter of principle that forbids such a subsetting glue
> library. Or at least, that any such principle would also forbid
> _applications_ from understanding only a subset of XML.

  For me application is anything on top of the parser API.
I don't have trouble with that. The only thing is taht it's no
more XML parsing it's application specific code on top of a parser.
The fact that it is in a library is just an implementation detail.

Daniel