Re: alpha blending in kde ? how ?

Juan Carlos <jcb niluge net> writes:

> i tried the latest kde in debian Sid, i noticed that menus were alpha
> blended, does someone know how they did this and how we could
> implement it in gnome ?

They are grabbing a screenshot and creating a shadow based on
that. Someone did create a similar patch for gtk+. Google can probably
find it for you.

I don't think such a patch has much chance of going into gtk+,
basically because it doesn't really work: The shadow doesn't update if
the background changes.

To do this properly, the X server needs to support windows with an
alpha mask.

Søren