Re: Request for GNOME2.8 inclusion: Cantus 3

søn, 04.04.2004 kl. 21.41 +0200, skrev Samuel:

> Hello,
>
> I have sent this request to gnome-love before and been directed to this
> list.
>
> I am the author of "Cantus", a free, GTK2-based (audio) tag application.
> Cantus has recently been released in a 3.0 pre-release. I believe that
> it is very extensible and capable to include all features users would
> expect from such an application.

A couple of general things we'd like to see before any apps are proposed
for inclusion in the desktop are:

- contact the documentation project and review any documentation that
the app has - if it has none I think that should be a priority before
even proposing the app

- contact the translation project and get a review of the app's state
wrt internationalization - any app proposed should be fully
internationalized and use intltool for .desktop, .schemas etc

- do a ui-review of the app and check strings to see if the language
used is in line with the terminology guidelines

- check the app for compliance with the HIG

These are all general tasks that I personally think should be part of
the preparation to propose apps for inclusion in the desktop (and libs
into the platform as well I guess)

> Planned features for the final 3.0 release are:
>
> * GTK2-based
> * Full Plugin support
> * ID3V1, ID3V2 (mp3/flac) and OGG (Vorbis) support

Are we really comfortable with patented stuff in the core desktop? Can
these be separated out or do they just appear if the user installs the
proper plugins for gstreamer?

> * Rename files by their tags
> * Multithreaded
> * Full I18N

This will have to be done well in advance of the final release to let
the translators finish their work in time.

> More features can of course be added by using plugins.
> The programming language is C++, using gtkmm/libglademm as GUI toolkit
> library.

Is gtkmm/libglademm ok to use for apps included in the core desktop?

Cheers
Kjartan