Re: Negotiating for using Royalty Free patents

jamie wrote:

That only applies to developers in the US. The rest of us can
deliberately violate as many software patents as we like without
breaking the law (AFAIK software patents can only be legally enforced in
US and Japan). Might be worth only copyrighting code to non-US citizens
on suspect projects just to be on the safe side.
Remember that it isn't just the copyright holders that this will cause a problem for. Anyone who distributes the patented code you wrote could be liable for infringement.

Given that our CVS server is located in the US (hosted by a US owned company) and most of our main distributors are also US entities, knowingly infringing patents is going to cause problems for Gnome no matter where you live.

While we can't know whether a particular bit of code is covered by a patent, we shouldn't go adding code that we know does infringe (which would result in triple damages if it got brought to court).

James.

--
Email: james daa com au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/