Re: State of the X clipboard, and perhaps a solution

> I could not agree more.  However, would introducing your idea introduce
> new problems of this sort:  a program that does not shutdown cleanly, at
> the moment, may not have any untoward (desktop-noticeable) consequences.
> However, under your proposal would it then block the clipboard (if it
> had copied data)?  If so, this would bring a fresh rash of bugs to the
> desktop.  This influx may, or may not, motivate developers to fix their
> programs.  But how long will this take?

This problem exists exactly the same right now. I believe it is handled
by the X clipboard protocol (ICCCM or something). X is the central
authority for clipboard ownership, and I believe any program can take
ownership without waiting on the previous owner to respond. If not, then
your clipboard would cease working currently when a program froze that
had a copied selection.

> In general, I think it is better to avoid introducing a new
> program/protocol that you _know_ will interact with others to produce
> desktop "bugs" with existing, widely deployed software.

I agree 100%. One can conjecture all day whether any change will cause
bugs however.

> Again, this relies on other developers being motivated to change.  How
> is this to be achieved and managed in a timely fashion?

The same way we got GTK 2.0, 2.2, and 2.4 adopted. Additionally, my
proposal does not break existing clipboard functionality, it just
enhances it. Current programs will continue to work, albiet clipboard
contents will be lost when they exit, just like now.

For all I know, this may even be a change that ONLY effects GTK, and all
other applications continue to work. I don't know enough about GTK to
confirm that or not. GTK runs the program loop... it's in control of
when it terminates it?

> I really don't want to pour cold water on your efforts.  Do you have any
> idea why the other efforts to address this problem failed; and why the
> issue has persisted for so long?

I don't know. I don't know if anybody has even considered just keeping
the copying program open. Have they? That's why I posted here. I simply
know that other methodologies suffer from sever problems (aka GCM).
Problems which are inherent of the chosen solution (escrow).

--
Jerry Haltom <wasabi larvalstage net>