Re: Follow up about X clipboard

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 10:49:14AM -0700, Alan wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 02:40:47AM -0300, Mariano Su?rez-Alvarez wrote:
> >
> > This does not deal well with the case of our mythical film editing app
> > which offers in 73 different formats the 724 minute long movie I've just
> > copied into the clipboard...
>
> Dealing with all cases now is great, but how many users are really
> copying around 800 megs of data in 80 different formats?  Most are like
> me and get pissed off that I have to keep gedit open to paste text into
> mozilla (or vice versa).

800 meg x 80 formats may be extreme but it is not terribly hard to
imagine either.  Even with smaller chunks of only a few meg, the
processing power necessary to generate several formats can be enough
that you do not want it to occur every time the clipboard is used.
The finger feel would be terrible if ctrl-C would take 5 seconds.
There is the added penalty tha many of these formats will not be
generally used and may not even be loaded unless explicitly
requested.

A 5 second delay when exiting may be acceptable, especially if it's
hidden from the user via a sureptitious folk.