Re: Copyright assignment

 --- Elijah P Newren <newren math utah edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 07:11 -0600, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:

> > > This two are reason enough for not wanting to take even a slight look at
> > > mono.
> >
> > In this whole discussion, this is surely the most important point.
>
> I disagree entirely.  If you argue that we can't allow this, then you're
> also arguing that we can't allow a project that is under the BSD license
> (or MIT/X or similar) to be included in the Gnome D&DP--because such a
> project could also be made proprietary.  I totally disagree with that
> stance.  If you don't want to contribute to such a project, that's your
> choice, but I think it's totally unreasonable that BSD and MIT licensed
> projects should not be considered for inclusion in the Gnome desktop and
> platform.  Besides, as Fernando pointed out, we do have a precedent for
> required copyright assignment (libart_lgpl).

With all due respect - but this is UTTER TOTAL CRACK. The situation between
a project that is based on BSD / MIT licence (like say libxml unless i'm
misremembering what Daniel did with the licencing situation) and a copyright
assignment giving a way for proprietary versions of code are entirely different.
Even more, wirth BSd licenced vs copyright assignment you get different "types"
od commercial spin-offs. There are many good and valid arguments both for against
allowing and disallowing copyright assigmnet but THIS is not one of them (besides
being wrong).