Re: Another idea for GNOME VFS

On Thu, 2004-08-05 at 14:52 -0700, Ian McKellar wrote:

> One way to do this is "gedit ssh://root localhost/etc/fstab" :)

Assuming you allow sftp access for root.  On many (most?) systems, only
users (i.e., uid 1000 and up, or however the system defines it) can log
in over sftp.

This seems like something I'd rather not see in gnome-vfs, though.  My
guess is that it'd be waaay too likely to have security holes or
potential for abuse somewhere in all those many thousands line of gnome-
vfs code and all that IPC code.

Best solution I've seen is a simple "Open as root" item in Nautilus
(using a script): just xsu -c "gnome-open %s" should work, I'd think.
(replace xsu with your graphical su of choice.)