Re: Proposal: gnome-user-share

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 23:19 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Jamie McCracken">
>
> > Well returning to the previous thread about having a standard set of
> > folders on the desktop, would it not make sense to include a "Shared
> > Files" folder among them (I believe we mentioned having things like
> > Documents,Pictures,Downloads etc as standard folders with their respective
> > paths defined in GConf so that it can be internationalised and clean
> > Desktops like Ubuntu could have those folders in Home whilst other
> > distro's have them in ~/Desktop etc).
>
> No one has talked about having standard folders on the *desktop*. It has
> always been assumed that they would live in $HOME, as with current folders
> such as Desktop, Templates, etc.

I believe they did, see :-

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2004-October/msg00016.html

> Also, folder i18n discussion has centred around consistent on-disk names and
> translations in the interface, *not* configurable on-disk locations.

Is there a good reason for that?

EG why cant I setup my shared folder as /tmp/jamie or my documents
as /mnt/win_c/docs?

The actual translations could be done via a script (passing the language
as a parameter) which each distro can call when installing Gnome which
sets up the default folders with the selected translation.

Having the on disk folder != folder name causes a huge no. of problems
with other desktops and as mentioned before apps like terminal - is it
not easier and simpler to have them identical when you take this into
account?

jamie.