Re: Proposal: gnome-user-share

ons 2004-12-01 klockan 20:35 -0500 skrev Brian Skahan:
> On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 15:59:55 -0800, Ken Harris <ken bitpoetry com> wrote:
> >
> > I think automatically sharing ~/Public/ is a great idea.  (The Mac does
> > this, too.)  It's not the end-all-be-all of file sharing systems, but
> > it's incredibly helpful for a quick "hey Bob, Alice needs to see this
> > file".
>
> How is this an improvement over me clicking on the folder where the
> file allready resides and hitting "Share", rather than
> copy/move/linking to ~/Public?

With a dedicated "Public" folder, it is clear that it is being shared,
and you have to explicitly move the file to share it. With marking any
folder as shareable, you can forget to unshare it later (and expose new
files you put there), or you can neglect to really check that you aren't
sharing something you shouldn't before you set it to be shareable.

--
Trust the Computer. The Computer is your friend.

Tel. (Japan) 090-3622 8920            Dr. Jan Mor�(mr)
                                      Dept. of Cognitive Science
http://lucs.lu.se/people/jan.moren    Lund, Sweden