Re: Hot plugged volumes in the notification area

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 21:43 -0500, William Lovaton wrote:

> > BTW based on Davyds proposal some time ago I was under the impression
> > that GNOME panel applets/notification icons/launchers were going to be
> > "merged" into one kind of applet type. Is this going to happen in the
> > not too distant future?
>
> I think this will happen in the (very?) distant future.

This is currently in the planning stages.

http://live.gnome.org/AppletsRevisited

Once I think we've worked out as many issues as possible, I want to take
a team of crack storm-hackers and branch panel and applets to implement
this wonderful Utopia.

Don't expect it for 2.10, or maybe even 2.12, but do expect it. At the
very outside, I have no intention of releasing GNOME3 with what ships
today.

As a benefit, a lot of the work going into applets today is good work
that we will be able to take with us. A lot of the new applets are
beautiful, abstract, delicious pieces of work. All yummy and full of
tasty applet goo.

The drivemount applet will show hotplugged volumes if they are shown in
Computer://. This exists in GNOME 2.9 now and works. The onus now lies
on the HAL and gnome-vfs guys to get their integration up to scratch.

However, I feel that as it stands the biggest problem to the current
adoption of hotplugged volumes ala Just Works is fstab. Perhaps we need
a VolumeManager, along with NetworkManager and the hypothetical
PowerManager to handle volume mounting/unmounting et al at a root level.
Imposing a desktop style security context and communicating with desktop
volume management on a sane level.

--d

--
Davyd Madeley              http://www.davyd.id.au/

PGP Fingerprint <http://www.davyd.id.au/pgp/>
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA