Re: Proposal: gnome-user-share

On Sad, 2004-12-04 at 15:23, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> We can't always keep existing apps working *as well* as integrated apps.
> They will be usable, just not quite as nice. And that's why we
> constantly lobby for people to use the native toolkits and APIs, because
> we *know* that fixing certain problems and making certain enhancements
> will be a platform-by-platform job.

You are appear to be determined to break all non gnome software. If that
is your real agenda why not just admit it. If you want a desktop that is
credible with ISV's of existing tools (like realplayer, acrobat reader,
oracle management tools etc) then your design doesn't work.

If you have a large user base then you have to deal with the fact that
"normal" is not some tiny narrow market segment occupied solely by Red
Hat and SuSE's business desktop target. The bigger your market the more
shell users, the more non gnome app users. And if they can't use it they
will go elsewhere.

Gnome and FDO should be about INCLUSIVITY. Elimination of unneeded
choices in the UI is not the same as making the product refuse to
interoperate with in real world situations.