Re: remove libgtop_names ?

On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 12:11 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
> Le samedi 04 d�mbre 2004 �1:13 -0500, Curtis Hovey a �it :
> > On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 01:49 +0100, Beno�Dejean wrote:
> > > BUT looking at libgtop.pc or libgtop-2.0.pc, they never contained
> > > anything about libgtop_names.a. The only software that uses
> > > libgtop_names.a is an example and the path to the static library
> > > (LDFLAGS) is hardcoded. So it's very unlikely that somebody ever used
> > > it.
> >
> > It is unlikely, but someone may.  We are upholding a contract that all
> > GNOME 2.x API is ABI compatible.  Something written in a laboratory
> > against GNOME 2.0 will work if it is installed on GNOME 2.10
>
> Isn't this valid only for the developer platform?

Yes, but there is a catch.

libgtop is versioned with the developer platform--its stable release is
2.8 and its development version 2.9.1.  If libgtop drops the old API, it
should increment its major to 3.x, breaking its synchronization with
developer platform.

Other apps in the desktop set their version as they see fit, some in
sync with the developer platform, others like epiphany to their own
scheme.  libgtop is free to choose its versioning scheme, but I think
there must be a very strong argument to change it since it committed to
match the rest of the developer platform.

sinzui cox net
Guilty of stealing everything I am.