Re: Making nautilus faster with large directories

Hi,

> I sent this mail to nautilus-list proposing an optimization that should
> make the situation a lot better but got no answer:
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/nautilus-list/2004-November/msg00074.html
>
> This should be considered for 2.10.  Any thoughts?

The thing you mention about gthumb doing this exact thing is precisely
why I dislike this idea.  gthumb's behaviour when it comes to thumbnails
is the SINGLE MOST ANNOYING[1] thing about the program.  In short, my
CPU time is meant to be used.  Any second my CPU is not doing a 100% is
processor time I paid for that got wasted.  Especially if I have to
*scroll down* to make the program actually thumbnail what I want to
preview.

What's the point of previewing if the previews are not ready for me to
watch ? If the program is currently not doing anything, and it has work
left to do to provide me a good and fast UI experience that doesn't
waste my time waiting for stuff that should already have been done, it
should GO ON AND DO IT.

Thomas

[1]: a close second being "what's up with the annoying behaviour of
storing photo's in an invented directory inside the directory I asked it
to save it and mark it with a film roll icon and use some annoying
syntax for storing the date it was saved on which is information already
present in the file to begin with"

The clock is set for nine but you know you're gonna make it eight
All the people that you've loved they're all bound to leave some
keepsakes
I've been swinging all the time, think it's time I learned your ways