Re: Translations of folder names - two proposals

On Gwe, 2004-12-10 at 09:15, Andy Balaam wrote:
> Thanks for the excellent summary of what I think are the two best
> options, Alexander.
>
> Personally I think the gettext option is best, since its disadvantages
> don't seem so serious.

I would agree they are not serious. I would say they are "show stopper
level catrastrophically bad" and introduce a raft of insoluble
consistency problems. In essence the gettext plan is to lie to the user
and attempt to keep up the lie. I think we all know from our days as
small children that lies always get more and more complex over time
until the illusion cannot be reconciled with reality and we get caught.

In the desktop the same is true as the examples so far like directory
creation collisions example shows already.

Another thing we can do to help scripts is for fdo to agree a set of
environment variables - $FDO_DESKTOP_LOCATION $FDO_DOWNLOAD_DIR etc