Re: gnome-vfs error messages

On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 18:07, Dave Malcolm wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 16:06, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 00:48, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> >
> > >  Is this something worth trying to fix?  Is it possible to fix without
> > > adding/changing API/ABI?
> >
> > The bad error messages have nothing to do with API/ABI and just requires
> > someone to spend a lot of time writing good error dialogs for the (very
> > many) special cases that can happen. Also, it has nothing to do with
> > gnome-vfs per se, as error dialogs are displayed by apps (typically
> > Nautilus).
>
> A shameless plug: I've attempted to do this in Conglomerate, see here:
>
> http://cvs.gnome.org/bonsai/cvsblame.cgi?file=conglomerate%2Fsrc/cong-error-file-save.c&rev=&root=/cvs/gnome
> (used when File->Save fails)
>
> http://cvs.gnome.org/bonsai/cvsblame.cgi?file=conglomerate%2Fsrc/cong-error-file-open.c&rev=&root=/cvs/gnome
> (used when File->Open fails)
>
> If I tidy this up into a resuable API, is there somewhere it can have a
> home?  gnome-vfs?  libgnomeui?

It would be nice to have something like this availible to app users
somewhere, since save and open are common operations for most apps.
However, it doesn't solve the full issue, as many of the strange errors
in nautilus is when doing other things.

Maybe having this in gnome-vfs makes sense? It'd have to be in 2.7
though.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a one-legged bohemian barbarian searching for his wife's true killer.
She's a blind green-skinned queen of the dead married to the Mob. They fight
crime!