Re: Use of American/British English

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 04:31:23PM +0000, Tim Foster wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I've a good reason not to use British English, and instead to continue
> with en-US.
>
> Lots of the companies that work with GNOME - Sun, Novell, HP, IBM, etc.
> are quite likely to have translation memories that are full of en-US
> source text and lots of translations.

Yes, hurray for american industry trying to help Linux, and make money
on it. Well, you know I am worried about the influence of the
multinational computer corporations on the free Linux community.
I think it is good that they are here, but I do not like that they then
want to impose their standards on us. This is what I see many places.
Unicode, The Free Standards Group... I know they mostly want to help,
and they have lots of ressources, but I would really like if they could
have some decency and not try to run the show. Linux and Gnome was
built mainly with a lot of individuals all over the world, I think they
should be in charge also over Linux' and Gnome's future. Built by the
people of the world, for the people of the world.

And anyway those TM sources from IBM etc would most likely not be open
source. While Gnome's translation sources are. And they are huge.
I think we should build a TM database on the Gnome po files, and other
open source po files. I have written about that before, I would like to
do it, but there are too many things I already have put in the sea and
that I need to follow up upon.

best regards
keld