Re: Modules that need some intltoolize love...

On Sat, 2004-01-03 at 00:18, Tommi Komulainen wrote:
> On 2004-01-02 21:16 +1300, Glynn Foster <Glynn Foster Sun COM> wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > > I just fixed libgnetwork, and AFAIK, what needs to be done is:
> > >
> > > 1.) Make sure you're using intltool >= 0.28.
> > > 2.) Add intltool-modules/XML/Parser/Style/OrigTree.pm to the toplevel
> > > EXTRA_DIST.
> > > 3.) Add intltool-modules to .cvsignore.
> > >
> > > It's also documented in intltool/README.
> >
> > Hrm, am I the only one that thinks this solution really sucks balls? Is
> > there not a cleverer way of doing all of this [this applies to the rest
> > of the intltool stuff, as well as omf stuff].
>
> How does libtool manage it?  I don't recall ever seeing ltmain.sh being
> mentioned in EXTRA_DIST, yet it somehow manages to find its way in
> release tarballs.

Free clue: libtool manages it by being known to automake. Have a look at
the output of "automake --help".

Intltool tries to handle thing similarly to libtool and autoconf and the
like: it is not required to be installed on the system of somebody
building from a source tarball. So we need to ship extra files. So we
need to tell automake what the extra files are. There is very little way
around that. Automake does not yet have a --do-what-I-am-thinking-about
option [this goes for all the intltoolsutff, as well as the omf stuff].

Malcolm