Re: Proposed: gDesklets

Am So, den 04.01.2004 schrieb Jeff Waugh um 07:47:
> gDesklets
> ---------
>
> I think the gDesklets are really cool as extra utilities, and if I had
> enough time left over to handle a geektoys release, it would be one of the
> first modules in it. But I don't think gDesklets is right for the Desktop
> release. We have a fair bit of conceptual confusion between applets, desktop
> icons (for files, executables and links), and so on - perhaps once someone
> has sat down and figured some of this stuff out, we'd be more clear on what
> we want to get out of the various functions.

I totally agree that gDesklets is not yet in a state where it should be
included with the main desktop. There are still some rough edges left.
Things are getting better with every release, though.

I have some major changes/additions (preserving backward compatibility)
in mind for the near future, so it might be better to await these before
including it into the desktop release.

I would love to see gDesklets in a geektoys release, however.
Maybe along with expocity, hehe. :)

> Interesting extra dependencies: python, pygtk and friends

These should be included in the desktop & developer release IMHO,
since Python is a great language for creating object oriented GNOME
applications. Btw, Redhat and Ximian use the Python+PyGTK combo
extensively, too (RedCarpet, Redhat administration tools, Anaconda
installer, ...)
Having language bindings for popular languages (C is not really
that popular anymore), we could see a lot more GNOME applications.
So at least bindings for C++, Python, C# should be included with
GNOME in the near future; maybe in 2.8.

Just my two Eurocents about gDesklets & PyGTK and friends.

Martin