Re: New external dependecy request (ICU)

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 10:44:46PM +0330, Roozbeh Pournader wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 22:26, Keld J??rn Simonsen wrote:
> > I am the editor of the ISO TR 14652 which is close to what is
> > implemented in glibc. I am open for suggestions to enhancements to that
> > specification.
>
> Will there be possiblities for amendments to this in ISO framework?
> Aren't some national bodies trying to kill it? Won't they try to stop
> amendments?

Amendmends or revisions, yes that is possible. I am advocating a
revision, and the WG has not been against it. They have said that I can
present a proposal for revision.

Yes, there are national bodies that wants to kill it, including the USA
and Japan.  But the TR was approved with a comfortable majority of
member bodies, 12 to 4 as I recall it.

It is possible that some member bodies will try to stop amendmends,
which require a new project. But the TR can always be revised, and
indeed it should be revised in about 3 years time frame.

I think one of the problems that the USA has with TR 14652, is
that they say that it is not implementable, and it is not used or
required by anybody. If Gnome would participate in the development, and
say that they think they will use it, it may be that the USA would be
more favourable. I dont know. They do tend to give some priority to
practical things. Another thing is that the US national body in this
respect is very dominated by Unicode people, which has some tendency to
just want their own specifications.

Best regards
Keld