RE: Translations, GNOME, and KDE

> "Don't translate console messages" may hold true in a number of cases
> but I really don't agree with the blanket statement.  It
> presumes that
> "users" never open a terminal or console.  Or that all console-users
> (whether we classify them as "end users" or 7337) prefer English.
> Faulty logic.
>
> Messages that are "not useful to end users" shouldn't be translated -
> but should they be sent to the console at all?  Kind of begs the
> question.  So one could also logically argue that all console output
> should be marked for translation (or not exist at all).

I think the blanket statement makes sense if you say that console messages
are for developers rather than users, and that developers all speak english.
Translated error messages actually make bug tracking more difficult, though
that's unavoidable for real user-visable error messages.

Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com
murrayc usa net