What are we about? - Re: Proposed: Rhythmbox

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 03:34, Dirk-Jan C. Binnema wrote:
<SNIP>
> Apart from that, I think RB is great! But there's no reason to make it
> part of the GNOME desktop release. What goes in should be based on what
> developers want (which means: only really core thing, panel, fm etc.
> and foundation stuff for programs). Users don't care if RB is in
> gnome-core or gnome-music or whatever. So the decision to include or
> not should not be based on that,  imho.

Ok, I seen a few messages in this opinion and I think Murray's advogato
entry went the same way. Personally I think the this 'minimalist'
attitude is a departure from what we did with GNOME 2.4 and earlier.

In 2.4 my impression was that the definition of what should go in or not
was based on what we felt was needed in a 'complete' desktop solution to
replace Windows or MacOSX.

If we really only want to have the basics as part of 'the GNOME Desktop
release' I guess there is a lot of stuff currently in that should go
out. gnome-games, gnome-utils, gnomemeeting,  gpdf, gedit, ephiphany and
probably more to name a few.

If we want our desktop release to only be a set of packages which are
meant for application developers to build upon and integrate with then
we should clearly state so, cause as I said, it is going in a different
direction than I felt the previous 2.x releases was about.
Unless we make a clear statement I think many including myself feels
that people are changing their arguments to fit their personal wishes
instead of the selection process being the result of some semi-objective
criteria.

Christian