Re: new module: gnome-volume-manager

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 20:59, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 14:48, Rob Adams wrote:
> > So if I understand this correctly, there's no reason why HAL and
> > therefore gnome-volume-manager couldn't be made to work on other
> > platforms (*BSD, Solaris, etc.)?  So gnome-volume-manager could
> > potentially be a candidate for desktop release in the 2.8 time frame?
>
> Correct, you just need to port the under-layers of HAL.  The HAL project
> has more information on what needs to be done,
> http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/hal

Right. The only Linux (2.6) specific code is in a separate source
directory of the HAL daemon.

> Other systems may not support the level of automation that Linux 2.6 +
> udev offer, however, which would make the user experience worse.  Kind
> of like how GNOME without fam support tends to be less useful, and how
> some systems require that fam use polling vs kernel notifications.

Correct, it should even be possible [1] to write a backend for HAL using
platform-independent libraries such as libpci, libusb etc. Of course
hotplug of devices wouldn't work here, but basic device detection would.
Not terribly useful, but it would allow applications depending on HAL to
work, albeit in a restricted way. A backend with no devices might be
another option.

Cheers,
David

[1] : Haven't tried it though, but it should be possible.