Re: Shutdown from Gnome

Telsa Gwynne wrote:
I have in the past been told to look at (a) gnome-logout (can't
find it there); (b) gnome-session (haven't found it there); (c) pam (oh god, the docs are _huge_!); and (d) consolehelper
(which looks likely, but the user-level docs are minimal and
it still involves pam. And /etc/pam.d/ makes my head hurt).

If you find out, please do let me know how this is achieved.
It drives me crackers.

It's consolehelper (and, as you mentioned, consequently PAM). Or, simply setuid halt/reboot/power-off; I believe the setting it detected at run-time, not compile-time. I looked at this once long ago when trying to make a Slackware machine turn off without logginging in as root, and I believe the relevant code was in the gnome-session module.

Todd