Re: Proto initial GNOME 2.6 new modules decision

>   Rhythmbox

Totem is a movie player. Rhythmbox is a music player. Please don't
confuse the underlying technological similarity to mean "they do the
same thing". They don't. That totem can serve as a mediocre music player
does not mean that we shouldn't include a good music player. I haven't
heard of or seen any interfaces that result in something being both a
good music player and a good movie player. The use cases between movie
and music playing are substantially different and necessitate a
different kind of interface.

In the immortal words of owen:
   "You mean you don't sit down in front of the TV to listen to music?"

Rhythmbox is not "advanced" multimedia functionality. It is not a "music
manager" (whatever that's supposed to mean, but RB is a music manager
whatever that is... RB doesn't even have support for editing ID3 tags
atm!), it is a music player suited to handling normal to large music
collections. That is what the interface is designed around, and it does
it well.

If we want "playing music" to be one of the tasks the GNOME desktop
supports, we should include a music player. Rhythmbox is far and away
the best music player interface available for GNOME in this designer's
opinion. If we *don't* want "playing music" to be one of the tasks the
desktop supports, we are crazy and way behind the times.

-Seth