Re: Proto initial GNOME 2.6 new modules decision

Hi

> Sergey -> tracking this release very closely with libxklavier, and
> nudging the Sun guys (in particular, because they are our only non-
> XFree86-using highly-involved distributor) about compatibility will
> help you out hugely in the coming months, because if libxklavier makes
> it into the freedesktop.org platform list, you might end up with
> harsher API/ABI compat regulations than even the GNOME Developer
> Platform. :-)
I realize. But unfortunately I do not see the _real_ stabilization any
time soon. While it was definitely the right thing to do removing any
XKB symbols from the public API - I am still not sure this is the end of
the story. Also, the API is just interface - the backend implementation
still not really working (well, it just returns no information and some
error codes) for platforms without proper XKB implementation. And it
would be a major effort (my dream is to make it by GNOME 2.8) to make it
work somehow in such environments. AFAIK Solaris goes with disabled xkb
(by default) so I am afraid this issue has some importance.

BTW, about officially supported platforms. Is there any semi-official
list of them? I realize there is XFree/Linux, XFree/BSD, Solaris (XFree/
Solaris?). What about HP? XFree/Darwin? MacOS? Also, the minimal
versions are important (for example, support for XFree 3.3 is a tough
thing to provide:) Was this discussed anywhere?

--
Sergey